What is VYAN?
VYAN is a network created for the purpose of building positive relationships between youth leaders, adults, advocates, and organizations. These connections will allow for participants to call upon one another for guidance, support, and resources. VYAN is a program of Ottauquechee Community Partnership.
History of VYAN
Since Fall 2012, youth and adult leaders of Windsor County have been meeting to develop opportunities for youth. In the Spring of 2013, a regional gathering was held in Woodstock. The first VYAN Youth Summit was held in March of 2014 in Woodstock and was organized and hosted by the VYAN creators and Ottauquechee Community Partnership’s interns.
In 2015, participants of the Annual Regional Youth Summit decided to develop the idea of VYAN even further. Three Vermont natives were contracted to create the vision, mission, and goals of the network and it was decided that VYAN’s staff would seek to be hired by outside organizations to create and lead meaningful trainings for youth and adults across Vermont.
VYAN was contracted to create a training for Woodstock Union High School faculty in August, 2015. The Vermont Department of Health created a grant for VYAN that included creating a statewide training and rally for all OVX and VKAT youth. In March, 2016 VYAN received a generous grant from the Jack and Dorothy Byrne Foundation to create trainings for youth and adults at a reduced cost.
VYAN’s mission is educating youth to facilitate positive social change, creating a network of youth and adult activists.
Youth advocates empowered to create sustainable change in communities across Vermont.
- Sustainability Young leaders creating a network of peers who share knowledge and skills with youth to become future VYAN trainers
- Education Creating knowledgeable youth with the tools to be effective advocates
- Empowerment Confident, connected youth leaders who are valued as resources in their communities
- Connection Provide a supported network for statewide interaction between youth and adults who share similar goals and interests
How VYAN Builds Protective Factors for Youth:
- Empowering youth as valuable community resources
- Building positive intergenerational relationships
- Increasing opportunities for youth leadership and community engagement
Trainings Can Include:
- Youth leadership with adults as supports
- Effective youth/adult partnerships
- Team building
- Courageous questioning
- Communication skills
- Advocacy skills
- Public speaking skills
- Problem solving
- Strategic planning
Hire Us to Create Your Next Training!
Facebook: VYAN page
VYAN Menu of Services: Download